Monday, August 18, 2008
First Day of School
As most parents would agree, sending their kids back to school starts some kind of a vacation for them. Not having to entertain all day and dealing with the "I'm bored. What else can I do? I need someone to play with." But for me, it was losing my best helper and Elly sending her best friend off to school. Ashlyn was so excited to go. She set her alarm last night and woke up cheerful this morning.
She couldn't wait to pack her lunch and to head off. It was 7:45 and she was ready to go. I told her she still had a half hour before we had to go. When we dropped her off, there were no tears, no hesitation, just confidence and the look of success. She kept smiling and smiling and smiling. She found her desk and started unloading her stuff. When I told her we would see her later she just said, "ok Mom." No hug, nothing. So we headed home and me being a mother full of tears, I shed a few.
For me, I knew she was ready to go and has looked forward to school all summer, but for the Mother part, its just hard to think that she will be gone all day and that she is growing up that fast. But it will give me time to bond more with Elly and to focus my time and attention to her why Ashlyn is at school. Its my time to run to town and not have to worry about making it back in a couple hours to pick her up from school. Its my time, to do things around the house that I haven't had time to do. It's my time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
She looks so excited. I can't believe she is a first grader. I bet it will be weird having her gone all day. Have fun on your first day of vacation...j/k. What ya gonna do? Hey, when we move back, we could go to town together. That would be fun!
I got tears just reading your post. I remember when Lindsey started kindergarten (it was all day) and how nervous I was. She was fine, but I was so nervous. Enjoy your time! Hope Ashlyn's first day was great!
Post a Comment